Wednesday, March 31, 2010

(movie) Being John Malkovich


I chose this movie because I'm interested in John Malkovich who is already pretty old, but I think still a sexy actor, after watching the movie "Dagerous Laisons". Then I realized that this movie was written by a genius writer Charlie Kauffman who wrote my favorite movie ever "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind". And my review of "Being John Malkovich" is 'absolutely amazing!'

Every situation in this movie is odd. The office is located on the seventh and a half floor in New York. The speech disturbance secretary is regarded as normal, and the normal president thinks he has an impediment.

New employee Schwartz finds the portal linked to Malkovich's brain in his office, by chance. His unrequited lover and colleague Maxine starts business of 200 dollars for each , while Schwartz is agonizing over it, philosophically. After experiencing the portal, Schwartz's wife, Lotte finds out she is lesbian or bisexual and Lotte and Maxine fall in love, but Maxine loves Lotte when Lotte is inside Malkovich's brain.

The highlight or climax of this movie for me was the scene in which Malkovich, himself, entered the portal to Malkovich. I was really expecting how this scene would come out. I could't imagine that. What I thought was that Malkovich would fall in sleep and dream. (It seems like I was affected by Avatar, after all) I just felt inferior to Kauffman. Malkovich inside Malkovich, Malkovich inside Malkovich, Malkovich inside Malkovich, Malkovich inside Malkovich, .......The infinite repetition was the world of Malkovich which is filled with Malkovich. In the restaurant, all customers have Malkovich's face including the waiter and the erotic singer with a red dress, and even all menus were written to Malkovich. How imaginative he is!

One more thing, Schwartz is already in Malkovich's brain and what if Lotte and Maxine entered that portal together? Oh no~~~~~~~~~~~.They were in the realm of the subconcious, which is shameful memories from Malkovich's childhood.

Schwartz is in Malkovich. So then is he Malkovich or Schwartz?
At first, it was Malkovich, because Schwartz only could see through Malkovich's eyes only for 15 minutes. Then he could figured out he could control Malkovich's body. Finally he controlled Malkovich's fully, and changed Malko's life from famous actor to puppeteer, which was Schwartz's job. So, is he Schwartz, after all?
And Maxine loves and marries this status of Malko controlled by Schwartz, even though she didn't like Schwartz, before. So now, does she love Malko or Schwartz?

It is a real 'profound meditation on consciousness, identity, fame, gender and reality', as the film critic Ann Hornaday said in the Baltimore Sun.
So I asked to my husband "Do you like my soul or body?"
And he answered "Of course both. All of you."
That is the right answer, both soul and body.
However, I'm still confusing who it is.

Ummmm. I'd like to watch "Alice in Wonderland" now. I'm curious of the 'portal' in 'Alice in Wonderland'.

No comments:

Post a Comment